Monday, September 17, 2012

~ Getting Set Apart As A Missionary ~

Jesus Christ Setting Apart His Apostles
Tomorrow night on Tuesday, September 18th, 2012, I’m going to be set apart as a missionary by the Stake President at church! Once someone gets set apart as a missionary, from there on all missionary rules applies to them and they live by it until the end of their mission.  It’s really a unique and scared experience!  A few years ago, when my friend went on her mission I went with her and her family when she was set apart. It was an awesome experience when someone gets set apart as a missionary, the spirit is strong! What’s special about tomorrow tonight is that it’s my turn to get set apart! I thought I share with you guys how it is and how it works since I have a lot of friends and family that aren’t a member of the church.

Members called to Church positions should be set apart before they begin serving. As stated in the Doctrine and Covenants, section 44 verse 11, “Again I say unto you, that it shall not be given to any one to go forth to preach my gospel, or to build up my church, except he be ordained by some one who has authority, and it is known to the church that he has authority and has been regularly ordained by the heads of the church”.  This ordinance is nothing new; it has been done since in the times of the Bible, "And no man taketh this honour unto himself, but he that is called of God, as was Aaron" (Hebrews 5:4).  Since the church and the priesthood was once again restored to the earth by our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ through the prophet Jospeh Smith, all worthy males of the church are eligible to obtain and participate and administer in the ordiances of the priesthood.
Under the direction of the presiding authority, one or more men who hold the Melchizedek Priesthood, a worthy father or husband may participate in a setting apart. They place their hands lightly on the person’s head. The one who speaks: 
1. Calls the person by his or her full name.

2. States that he is setting the person apart by the authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood.

3. Sets the person apart to the position to which he or she has been called.

4. Gives a blessing as the Spirit directs.

5. Closes in the name of Jesus Christ.

Tomorrow will be my last time updating my blog this week! The adventure lies ahead just in a couple hours! Since I have a lot of family and friends that aren’t members of the church and have questions that needs to be answered concerning my mission, I provided a link here below which contains a webpage that discusses what missionaries practically do and how they live their mission life. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment